Today’s trip got off to a much later start than normal. It was planned that way though. Just before our hiking adventure, Michele was going to be passing through town, so Jon, Mer, and I had lunch with her. It was good to see her. Had to leave kind of early because we were going to meet up at the church building at 12:45 to go hiking in the Big South Fork area. Surprisingly, we actually left close to on time. Nobody was really late.
The event was advertised to all the youth group going into 9th grade and up. The people who went were, Bryan and Me (youth workers), Elizabeth B. and Matt T. (just finished their freshman year in college), and Benton S. and Paul H. (fixing to be seniors in high school). All in all it was a really fun trip. There are lots of rock walls which would be fun for climbing and repelling. Too bad I didn’t bring any of my gear. 🙁
Alright, I’m really tired now and I still need to make some changes to the MediaShout for worship tomorrow, so I’m just gonna cut straight to one story. Everybody is alright, so this makes for a really funny story. Around dinner time, we setup camp and started a fire. We cooked hamburgers and hot dogs. For dessert, we cooked Smores. I’m not going to take for granted that everybody knows what a Smore is… Its two graham crackers with chocolate and marshmallow between them. Well we were roasting the marshmallows over the fire. Paul had gotten one really burned and for fun, he threw it against the rock wall that was nearby to our campsite. When it hit the wall, it stuck to it. So well, he decides to do it again. He puts the marshmallows on his stick and puts them over the fire. It catches on fire like its supposed to do. As he’s bringing it over, it falls off onto his leg. (I can imagine how hot it was). Well human instinct reacts to begin stimulated like that… however, his response was to fall down INTO the fire. Luckily Benton was close by and prevented him from rolling into the fire. Thank goodness he didn’t get injured. Some of you may look at my pictures for this trip at http://gallery2.justinacuff.net/v/hiking_biking_outdoors/Honey_Creek_2005-07-30/ and see a picture of Paul’s leg. Even though it looks like of like bird crap, its really the marshmallow that burned him. Once we saw that he was ok, well all broke out in laughter. It was scary at first, but has got to be one of the funniest things I have seen since returning to the United States.